- Change or clean your furnace filter once a month.
- Install a programmable thermostat.
- Don't set the thermostat higher than you actually want it.
- Don't let furniture and draperies block the air flow from air registers.
- If your home has a boiler system, avoid covering radiators with screens or blocking it with furniture.
- Use rags or hand towels instead of paper towels or napkins.
- When you use a fireplace, set your furnace to 55 degrees. If you don't, then all the warm air will escape the chimney.
- Keep plantings at least one foot away from your central air conditioning unit for adequate airflow.
- During late afternoon or early evening, turn off unnecessary lights and wait to use heat-producing appliances.
- Shade south and west facing windows during the hottest parts of the day in the summer.
Monday, February 28, 2011
Ways to Save Energy #1
Here are some ways to save energy: