Saturday, February 23, 2008

My Science Fair Project- Efficiency of a Generator

By Chris

Recently, I participated in the Fruita 8/9 Science Fair, and won Best in Show. I also won second place and received a special award from the Air Force Academy in the Mesa State College Regional Science Fair. My project? I built a small hydroelectric generator from a design I found on the Internet. After I made improvements, I tested how the distance from the rotor (magnets) to the stator (coils) affected the amount of electricity the generator produced when I ran it underneath my sink. (A generator produces electricity when magnets move the electrons in coils of water). My results were that the closer the magnets were to the coils the more volts and amps it produced. From this experience, I learned many things, including how electricity is created. In the future, I would like to continue testing with electricity.

No comments: